- Best Global Knives
- Global Knives Reviews
- Global Chef’s Knife Buyers Guide
- Why Buy Global Knives?
When it comes down to it, one of the most reputable culinary knife brands in the world is Global Knives. These particular knives are seen as some of the very best around, potentially beating out Wusthof, Shun, and Dalstrong in terms of overall quality and functionality.
Complete with super durable and comfortable metal handles, very fine and sharp blades, and very elegant designs, you really can’t go wrong with Global Knives. What every home cook needs is a great blade that combines aesthetics, quality, and function into one single package, which is exactly what you get with Global Knives.
Best Global Knives
Global Knives Reviews
Global Knives is of course a Japanese company, one that originally started with professional swordsmiths and their samurai swords.
These ultra high-quality swords serve as the inspiration for these chef’s knives, as they are made with only the best of raw materials, while ensuring that they are perfectly balanced and weighted for an optimal user experience.
Global Knives as a brand has been around since the mid 1980’s, and people have truly fallen in love with them. Let’s get to it and take a look at the top 5 best Global chef’s knives out there right now.
#1. Global G-2 8-Inch Chef’s Knife Review
At this time, the Global G-2 8-inch chef’s knife is seen as one of the very best from this brand, and in Japan, has been awarded the title of best selling product, mostly thanks to its very unique design and features.
First off, although the Global G-2 has a very strong and durable metal handle, it manages to remain very lightweight and well balanced. That handle has a very special design on it, a rough texture, which allows the user to grip onto it tightly, yet it also features an ergonomically friendly design for comfort.
Moreover, thanks to the ultra thin and fine blade that the Global G-2 comes with, it works just as well for chopping meat as it does for veggies, and more or less everything in between too. If you are looking for a lightweight, comfortable, and extremely sharp chef’s knife, then the Global G-2 is a fantastic option to consider.
- This is a professional quality chef’s knife that features a very sleek and eye-catching design.
- The Global G-2 comes with a lightweight metal handle that features a great grip pattern and an ergonomically friendly design.
- The balance on this knife is excellent, with total balance between the blade and handle.
- The blade itself is made out of so called Cromova 18, a combination of molybdenum, vanadium, and chromium, thus allowing for a very thin and lightweight knife that also happens to feature extreme durability.
- The straight edge on the blade of the Global G-2 is about as sharp as it gets, plus it also retains its edge very well too.
- The Global G-2 does not have shipping or handling charges, there is a free 30-day return policy, and it comes with a lifetime warranty for all defects.
- Excellent blade edge retention
- One of the most successful brands out there
- Ideal for meat, fruit, and veg
- Comfortable to use for prolonged periods
- Ideal for left and right handed users
- Looks very nice
- May develop small rust spots if not properly maintained
#2. Global 7-inch Hollow Edge Asian Chef’s Knife Review
If what you are looking for is a knife that performs extremely well, whether you are cutting fish, meat or vegetables, then the Global 7-inch Hollow Edge Asian Chef’s Knife is a great option to consider.
This knife features an excellent balance of high-quality materials, weight, and a very sharp edge that allows users to chop through nearly anything in record speeds. One of the standout features of this particular chef’s knife is the fact that it will stay sharp for a very long time. Excellent edge retention is of course extremely important.
Its very large and prominent edge, combined with excellent knuckle clearance, allows for extremely fast chopping speeds. The fact that it comes with a lifetime warranty is just an added bonus that provides you with a bit of extra security.
- This knife is made out of a combination of stainless steel and Cromova, thus allow for extreme durability, rust resistance, and a lightweight design.
The razor sharp edge of this knife is extremely easy to control, so you can do precision slicing and chopping with ease.
- This blade features a 56-58 Rockwell rating, which as you might know, is extremely sharp.
- The sides of the blade on this knife feature dimples that form air pockets to help stop food from sticking.
- This chef’s knifer features excellent balance, combined with a fantastic handle that allows for secure gripping.
- 100% rust, corrosion and stain resistant
- Extremely lightweight and user friendly
- Excellent performance due to perfect balance
- An excellent blade for chopping herbs and veg, as well as meat
- Needs to be hand washed and dried after every use in order to retain the edge
#3. Global G48 G-48-7 inch, 18cm Santoku Hollow Ground Knife, 7″ Review
What you get here is an excellent knife that is manufactured by the best of Japanese knife smiths, one that is made in the style of a European chef’s knife. This is an extremely well balanced kitchen knife that allows you to complete all sorts of tasks with it, whether big or small.
One of the best features that you get with it is the textured slip resistant handle that allows you to hold it securely. Not only is the handle very comfortable, but it is also hollow, which thus allows for a very lightweight design complete with excellent balance with the blade.
This is a highly polished chef’s knife that not only looks excellent, but thanks to thanks to the extremely thin and sharp blade, also makes quick work out of anything that you put in its way.
- The blade is made out of a combination of molybdenum, vanadium, and stainless steel, to allow for lightweight durability.
- This knife features a very acutely angled edge, complete with an extra-thin blade, which allows for precision cutting all day long.
- The knife itself is extremely well balanced and very lightweight. That’s making it very user friendly. Not to mention that it comes complete with a nonslip handle.
- This knife comes complete with a lifetime warranty against breakage and all defects.
- 7 inches is a great blade size for most common kitchen tasks.
- Great for cooks with small hands
- Good for pros and beginners alike
- Excellent edge retention
- Extremely sharp
- Lightweight and well balanced
- Needs to be handwashed after each use
- Users must be careful, as its extreme sharpness makes it very easy to cut yourself
Related: Best Santoku Knives
#4. Global Knife Block Set, Silver
If what you are looking for is it small, set of high quality Japanese kitchen knives, then this is a great option to consider. This particular set comes complete with an 8.25″ carving knife, a 5.5″ vegetable knife, a 4″ santoku paring knife, which means that you realistically get everything you need to complete all possible cutting and chopping tasks in the kitchen.
Keep in mind that you also get a ceramic sharpening rod, so you can keep everything nice and sharp.
Right out of the box, beware that these are some of the sharpest knives around, so sharp that you do really need to practice extreme caution when using them. What is very surprising to note here is that you get three knives, a sharpening rod, and a wooden block, all for a very low price.
- The ergonomically friendly tempered steel handles are not only comfortable to hold for long periods, but also feature an excellent non-slip texture.
- These blades are made out of Cromova 18 hardened steel, which features a mixture of various metals including Chromium, Molybdenum, and Vanadium.
- The edges of these knives are very sharp, and they also retain that edge for a very long time, which is mainly thanks to the fact that they’ve all been ice tempered to a Rockwell hardness level of C56 – C58.
- What is really cool about these kitchen knives is that the handles are actually made hollow but then filled with sand, which helps to achieve an ideal balance.
- Comes complete with a wooden upright knife block, along with a very high quality sharpening rod.
- Very comfortable to hold
- Non-slip grip pattern
- Excellent blade to handle balance
- Comes with a block + two extra knife slots
- All you need to get started
- Very affordable set
- The block is smaller than it’s made out to be
- Not the highest quality of all knives out there
#5. Global Knife Set – 20 Piece – Bamboo Block Review
If what you are looking for is a full set of kitchen knives that will allow you to complete any task at hand with ease, speed, and precision, then this huge knife set is definitely something to consider.
- In fact, this is actually an award-winning set of kitchen knives, and it is all thanks to the huge selection of blades you get here, their excellent hardness and quality, the super sharp edge complete with fantastic edge retention, and the ergonomically designed handles too.
- These blades feature a Cromova 18 high carbon stainless steel blade construction, which as far as kitchen blades go, is about as good as it gets.
- The Rockwell hardness rating of 56 – 58 that these blades feature mean that they are very durable, which combined with the super sharp and straight edge, should allow you to chop through any food with ease.
- All of these knives feature steel molded dimpled handles with excellent balance and great grip texture.
- This set comes complete with a 3.5″ Paring Knife, a 4.25″ Asian Utility Knife, a 5″ Chef’s Prep Knife, a 5.5″ Hollow Edge Nakiri Knife, a 6″ Flexible Boning Knife, a 6″ Serrated Utility Knife, a 7″ Hollow Edge Santoku Knife, a 7″ Hollow Edge Nakiri/Vegetable Knife, an 8″ Hollow Edge Carving Knife, an 8″ Chef’s Knife, an 8.5″ Bread Knife, six 4.5″ Steak Knives, an 8.5″ Ceramic Sharpening Rod, and kitchen shears.
- Reasonably priced for what you get
- Lifetime warranty
- More or less every kind of knife you could ever need
- Very high quality steel
- Sharp with excellent edge retention
- Great balance with an ergonomic design
- Sharpening them can be difficult
- Probably overkill for your average home cook
Global Chef’s Knife Buyers Guide
Before you go out and buy any old chef’s knife from Global Knives, there are a few important considerations that you should keep in mind.
Always pay attention to the length of the knife in question, particularly the blade. Generally speaking, if you just want a single knife that can handle meat, veggies, and more, then a blade between 7” and 9” is recommended. If the blade is too long, it becomes unmanageable, and if it is too short, it just won’t be able to handle big jobs.
2. Balance & Weight
You do also want to look for a blade that features excellent balance between the blade and handle, so if you hold the knife right at the point where the blade and handle connect, they should be perfectly balance, something that definitely helps with ease of use and cutting precision.
You should absolutely look for a chef’s knife that features a full tang design. You don’t want the tang of the blade stopping at the handle or halfway through the handle. A full tang design allows for the highest amount of durability.
4. Blade Material
As you can probably tell from today’s reviews, that Cromova steel is very popular with this brand, as it should be. This kind of steel is very hard, which allows for blades to be very thin yet also durable, which therefore also allows for a super sharp edge with great edge retention. Even if it is not Cromova, you still want to go with high-quality steel, such as High Carbon steel, because you do want that knife to last.
5. The Handle
You should also look for a chef’s knife with an ergonomically friendly handle that is easy to hold, as well as one that comes with a good pattern, so it is easy to grip.
Why Buy Global Knives?
One of the most important steps that you can take on your culinary journey happens right at the beginning, and it’s all about finding the right tools for the trade.
Obviously, spending a whole lot of cash on a high-end knife set right off the bat is not ideal, but with that being said, this is what stands out about Global Knives, the fact that they feature an excellent mix of quality and affordability. Global Knives prove time and time again that you don’t have to spend a massive fortune to get a quality product.
Global Knife blades are known for being some of the sharpest and thinnest out there, which allows for precision cutting, chopping, slicing, dicing, and more, not to mention that they also feature excellent edge retention.
Moreover, what you get with this brand are lightweight and well-balanced knives that won’t cause you to fatigue after just a few chops. Let’s not forget that Cromova stainless steel, which is some of the best out there. It’s definitely not going to crack, chip, or snap.
How often do you have to sharpen these knives?
You should slightly sharpen it right before using the knife every single time. If you do this, you should only really need to fully sharpen the blade once per year.
Can you put them in the dishwasher?
No, you cannot put these knives in a dishwasher. The extreme heat and powerful detergents in dishwashers may very well damage these knives.
What angle do you sharpen them at?
These knives should be sharpened at an angle between 10 and 15 degrees. Remember, it’s about retaining a very thin and sharp edge.
Are these knives single or double bevel?
Although this brain doesn’t make both types of knives, both of them are double bevel.
How to you remove rust from a Global knife?
If you happen to see some rust on your knife, a bit of baking soda paste, and a plastic scouring pad should do fine. Try to avoid using metal scrubbers and harsh cleaning products on red lines.
How do you protect these knives from rust?
As soon as you are done using your knife, always wash and dry it immediately. Do not use any cleaners that contain harsh chemicals or abrasive materials. Never leave these lines to soak in the water.