- Ginsu Knife Set Reviews
- 1. Ginsu Gourmet Chikara 19-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set
- 2. Ginsu Essential Series 14-Piece Stainless Steel Serrated Knife Set
- 3. Ginsu Gourmet Chikara Series Forged 4-Piece Steak Knives Set
- 4. Ginsu Chikara Series Fully Forged 8-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set
- 5. Ginsu Kiso Dishwasher Safe Red 14 Piece Set Natural Block
- FAQ’s on Ginsu Knife Set
- Wrap Up
Ginsu knives are often regarded as being some of the very best in the world. This is a manufacturer of high quality knives, one that is well known and very popular around the world. In our opinion, if you don’t have at least one Ginsu knife in your kitchen, you are definitely missing out on something.
Now, there are so many Ginsu knives and full knife sets out there, that choosing a single one can be quite difficult. Well, this is what we are here to help you with today, to take a closer look at the five best Ginsu knife sets out there, and what they bring to the table, so you can make a well informed decision for your next purchase.
Ginsu Gourmet Chikara Series Forged 19-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set – Cutlery Set with 420J Stainless Steel Kitchen Knives – Bamboo Finish Block, 07133DS
Ginsu Essential Series 14-Piece Stainless Steel Serrated Knife Set – Cutlery Set with Purple Kitchen Knives in a Black Block, 03891DS
Ginsu Gourmet Chikara Series Forged 4-Piece Steak Knives Set – 420J Japanese Stainless Steel Knife Set, 07104DS
Ginsu Chikara Series Fully Forged 8-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set – Cutlery Set with 420J Stainless Steel Kitchen Knives – Toffee Finish Block,
Ginsu Knife Set Reviews
1. Ginsu Gourmet Chikara 19-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set
If you are looking for an absolutely massive knife set that comes complete with nearly twenty different blades, scissors and a very nice wooden block too, then this is a good option to go with. When it comes to this particular brand name, the specific knife set is often seen as the number one best set out there.
All of the blades here are forged out of 420 J stainless steel, which is of course very high in quality, not to mention very durable and even rust resistant.
The handles here are made out of a very special type of plastic that is water resistant and impact resistant, plus these knives are full tang, so the blade material extends all the way through to the end of the handle, thus allowing for added durability and much better balance too.
- This set includes an 8-Inch Chef’s Knife, an 8-Inch Slicer, an 8-Inch Bread Knife, a 7-Inch Santoku Knife, a 6-Inch Cleaver, a 6-Inch Boning Knife, a 5-Inch Utility Knife, a 3.5-Inch Paring Knife, Kitchen Shears, a Honing Rod, and Eight 4.5-Inch Steak Knives.
- Blades are manufactured with 420J Japanese stainless steel
- Handles are made out of polyoxymethylene with ergonomic grip
- Full tang forged knives (steak knives are stamped)
- All one kit
- Good value
- Great steel
- Impact and rust resistant
- Looks nice
- Very sharp blades with good edge retention
- Well balanced
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Must be handwashed
- Susceptible to rusting if not dried after use
The Bottom Line
If you want you are looking for is value and you want every kind of knife that you could possibly ever need in your kitchen, then this full sized set is probably the best option for you to go with.
Related: Best Steak Knives
2. Ginsu Essential Series 14-Piece Stainless Steel Serrated Knife Set
Don’t let the name clear, fool you, because although some of the knives are serrated and not all of them are. These knives feature a full tang design, which means that the blade material extends all the way down through to the handle, thus allowing for great balance and durability. Speaking of the handles, it is worth noting that they are bright purple in color, which does look pretty cool. ‘
Keep in mind that the handles on these knives are made out of hard plastic. What you need to keep note of is that there is one set that is handwash only, but there is also another set that is dishwasher safe.
In terms of the blades, they are made out of pretty basic stainless steel. Although the stainless steel used here is nothing overly special, the simple reality is that it is more than good enough for most basic kitchen needs. Plus, there is also the fact that it definitely won’t rust on you.
Although this may be hard to believe, these particular knives arrive razor sharp out of the box and apparently never need to be sharpened. Even if you do need to sharpen them at some point, it is doable, although you will need to put some effort into it. The bottom line here is that if you need an affordable set of knives that work well for more or less any task in the kitchen, then this essential series 14 piece set is the way to go.
- Comes with 14 pieces, including an 8-Inch Chef’s Knife, a 7-Inch Santoku Knife, a 5-Inch Boning Knife, an 8” Slicer, a 5-Inch Tomato Knife, a 3-Inch Paring Knife, Kitchen Shears, and six 4.5-Inch Steak Knives.
- Blades are made with fairly high-quality stainless steel
- Cool purple handles.
- Comes with a storage block.
- Come with a limited lifetime warranty
- Cool color design
- Very easy to use
- There is a set that is dishwasher safe
- Ergonomic grip
- Good value for the money
- Good edge retention
- Decent durability
- Not ideal for processing large foods
- Requires handwashing
- Sharpening is not easy
The Bottom Line
The bottom line here is that if you want a few good knives for your kitchen and you don’t want to spend a whole lot of money, and this particular 14 piece set is probably the best bet for you.
3. Ginsu Gourmet Chikara Series Forged 4-Piece Steak Knives Set
If all you need are some nice steak knives, then this set is a great one to consider. What you get here are four steak knives and no, they are not serrated. The blades of these knives are made out of high quality. 420 J Japanese Stainless steel, which as you can probably tell by the name, should never rust. This type of steel is also quite resilient and durable in terms of impact.
Moreover, it’s also more than hard enough to resist losing its edge just from cutting a few states. Do keep in mind that these are forged steak knives and they come razor sharp out of the box, and moreover they really don’t need to be sharpened very often.
With that being said, you will need to sharpen eventually, but this is fairly easily done. Keep in mind that the steak knife blades are 5 inches in length. Also, these particular knives are very well balanced, so they are comfortable to use, which is in part due to their full tang design.
- 4 knives included
- 5 inch blade
- Black POM handles
- Full tang design
- 420J stainless steel
- Fairly durable
- Quite affordable
- More than sharp enough
- Comfortable to use
- Look nice
- Well balanced
- No block or holder included
- Required handwashing
The Bottom Line
The bottom line here is that if you need a simple, elegant and affordable set of steak knives for four people, then the Ginsu Gourmet Chikara Series Forged 4-Piece Steak Knives Set is a great one to consider.
4. Ginsu Chikara Series Fully Forged 8-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set
If what you need are a few really good kitchen knives, then this is an excellent set to go with. What you get here are the total of seven knives plus a pair of scissors. In other words, you should have every kind of blade that you need for mostly every job in the kitchen.
What needs to be said here is that these knives are forged to be balanced perfectly so that you can have the perfect amount of power and control. Yes, these are full tang knives, which is of course a part of the reason why they are so well balanced. But it also helps contribute to their overall durability. Even if they do, for some reason break on you, they do feature a lifetime limited warranty.
Moreover, in terms of their overall durability and quality, the blades here are made out of 420J Japanese steel that is known for stain and rust resistance. The blades shouldn’t crack on you. The Edge should stay sharp for a very long time, and the blades shouldn’t rust either. Although the plastic handles may not look overly special, they do their job just fine.
- Besides the toffee colored wooden knife block, you also get an 8-Inch Chef’s Knife, Honing Road, 5-Inch Utility Knife 7-Inch Santoku Knife, 5-Inch Serrated Utility Knife, 3.5-Inch Paring Knife, Kitchen Shears.
- Blades forged out of 420J stainless steel.
- Full tang design.
- Traditional Japanese style handles.
- Good value
- Quite durable
- Razor sharp
- Comes with everything you need
- Nice wooden block
- High quality steel with good edge retention
- Full tang and well balanced
- Handle not comfortable enough
The Bottom Line
The bottom line here is that if you’re looking for a relatively high quality set of kitchen knives that will allow you to perform all of the tasks you need to perform, all without spending a fortune, then this particular set is a good one for you to consider.
5. Ginsu Kiso Dishwasher Safe Red 14 Piece Set Natural Block
Yes, we decided to go with something unique here. As opposed to everything else we have looked at so far, which were of course metal knives, these ones are made out of ceramic. One thing that is really beneficial about E ceramic blades is the fact that they are extremely sharp.
Moreover, they stay sharp for a very long time and will barely ever need to be sharpened. On that same note, ceramic is of course also dishwasher safe, which is a big benefit in terms of cleaning.
There is also the fact that ceramic won’t corrode or rust. However, the big downside here is of course that ceramic is not all that tough, and if you hit these knives the wrong way or drop them on the ground, they may very well snap right in half.
That said, if what you’re looking for are some super affordable knives that will barely cost you any money at all, just something simple that works well for all of your kitchen prep work, then this is still a great set to keep in mind.
- Set includes an 8″ Chef Knife, a 7″ Santoku Knife, a Bread Knife, a Utility Knife, and a Paring Knife.
- Ceramic handles and blades.
- Everything but the chef knife is serrated.
- Ergonomic handles for comfort.
- Dishwasher safe.
- User friendly
- Very low price
- Limited durability
FAQ’s on Ginsu Knife Set
1. Why buy Ginsu Knives?
One of the main reasons why so many people love the knives from this particular brand name is because they come in at very reasonable prices, yet have a surprisingly high level of quality.
2. Do Ginsu Knives Rust Easily?
Some of these knives may rust fairly easily, but with that said, this will only happen if you do not take good care of them. As long as you keep them dry after using them, it should be fine.
3. How Sharp are Ginsu Knives?
One of the coolest parts about these knives is that they’re sharpened to a point where they come razor sharp out of the box, and moreover, they barely ever need to be sharpened, if at all.
If you are planning to get a set of knives from the Ginsu brand, we would definitely recommend checking out the five we have reviewed today before any others. They are simply the best out there. Remember that this is a high quality brand known for its reasonable prices, so it’s a good option to go with if you are just starting out in your culinary adventure and need a few good tools to get you going.